Start Here: Carnegie Mellon University Libraries Guide to DataSets
re3data (open access) Global registry of research data repositories representing different academic disciplines. Once you identify a repository in your topic area, search the the selected repository for data.
- OECDiLibrary is the online library of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) featuring its books, papers and statistics and is the gateway to OECD’s analysis and data.
- Statista Statistics, consumer survey results and industry studies from over 18,000 sources on over 60,000 topics; mostly current data.
- Statistical Abstracts of the World Data reported mainly at the national level.
- UNData (open access) International statistics from United Nations statistical resources.
- World Bank Data (open access) International data ranging from easy-to-use to research data sets.
- Historical Statistics of the United States U.S. national statistics back to colonial times.
- HathiTrust Research Center (HTRC) Extracted Features (EF) Dataset, Version 1.0. This dataset provides researchers with open access to data extracted from the full text of the HathiTrust Digital Library (HTDL). The Extracted Features Dataset opens the complete HathiTrust collection for investigations into historical and cultural trends, the rise and fall of topics within the corpus, and the evolution of words and writing structures in publications dating from the 16th to the late 20th century. The EF Dataset provides quantitative information about word and line counts, parts of speech, and other details within each page of every volume in the HTDL.
- Data.gov (open access) U.S. government’s open data portal. Search over 164,000 data sets on a wide array of topics available.
- Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) Access a vast archive of social science data for research and instruction. Note that before downloading data, you will be asked to set up an account. Some online analysis is available. Most datasets will need to be downloaded for analysis in a statistical software package.
- Statistical Insight Keep your search for data efficient and focused by searching this index to statistical publications. Indexes major U.S. and international data sources.
United States Focused
- American FactFinder (open access).
- SAGE Stats: State & Local Data visualization tool for state and local data.
- Social Explorer (CMU log-in required) Access and use U.S. Census of Population, Housing and American Community Survey data. Also includes statistics on religious affiliation.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States Authoritative and comprehensive summary of current statistics on the social, political, and economic conditions of the United States.